Wednesday, June 13, 2007

On being "different"

Friday night was cast party #2 for the cast of "A Pirate's Life". I was not actually in the musical (poor judgement call on my part) but I have been consistently skipping per 3 with a bunch of the grade 12s with period 3 spare, who were in the play.

Period three has been the joke period of my year. I missed it a lot for Insight Theatre, and, unlike math, I never really felt the need to catch up and work on it. Since I was doing well in the class, it never became an issue. A couple of weeks ago, I found out that a bunch of the grade 12s have per 3 spare and that was it. No more class for me. I've been to class only 4 days in the past 2 weeks. And you know what? I've really enjoyed it. The people I've been hanging out with are so nice and so much fun. It's really too bad that they are leaving in two months. Darn grads. But isn't that always the way with high school?

Due to this new "self appointed spare" I have been able to do some fun stuff, like going to Bridgehead lots and have a nice chill time in the middle of the day. And it has led to conversations like this one:

Kesha: Hey, Evey, you should come to Leaf Camp!
Lilly: Yeah, why aren't you coming to Leaf Camp?
Lina: You should come!
Me: when is it?
Kesha: Tomorrow [friday] night until Sunday afternoon.

So you know I went. I was up until 2am thursday night and sunday night to finish my summative for anthro, but it was so, so worth it. And I got to go to the second cast party.

Which leads me to the Birkenstocks story. Birkenstocks are the accepted footwear of hippies everywhere - at my school. So all the kids who fancy themselves different that way wear Birkenstocks. I used to wear them a lot, and bought a new pair this year, but never really got around to wearing them. So after Leaf Camp I pulled them out of my closet and I just happenned to be wearing them when I went to the party.

Bad idea, let me tell you. At midnight when my mom called me and was all "I'm outside to pick you up." and I said "be right out." what I meant was "I'll be out in ten minutes after I walk onto the back porch, search for my Birkenstocks in the dark, yell at the floor, the light, the world, jam my feet into dozens of shoes and then, finally, find my sandals." Which makes me wonder... if we're all wearing the same shoes... we can't be that different can we?

Last real day of school tomorrow. I can't believe next year I will be in grade 12. I mean, I'm used to hanging out with them, but it was always accepted that they were above me. But not anymore. How wierd.

No comments: