Monday, April 16, 2007

Every streetlight reveals a picture in reverse

Setting: Homework Club. Me, Mike and 2 students who are done their homework. Mike and I are facing one another, and the kids are on either side of us.

Students: Mike, you're so boring. You never smile and you never talk about anything interesting. You're like the opposite of Evey. She smiles all the time and-
Evey: I love chatting.
Mike: You never ask me anything interesting.
Students: Ok! So, Mike, do you have a girlfriend?
Mike: No.
Students: Did you have a girlfriend?
Mike: Yes.
Students: *look at me to confirm his answer*
me: Yeah, he had a girlfriend.
Students: Did she like dumb calculus and math like you?
Evey: *trying very hard not to laugh* Not as much as Mike, no.
Students: *confused about why I'm answering their questions and not Mike* Did she never smile like you?
Mike: No, she smiled a lot.
Evey: yep, it's true.
Students: Did she dump you?
Evey: *still loving the irony of the situation*
Mike: No.
Students: Why did you dump her? Was it because she smiled too much? *laugh*
Evey: Geez Mike, that's not a very nice reason to dump someone.
Students: Yeah Mike.

The kids can't seem to comprehend anyone being comfortable with anyone of the opposite sex unless they're dating or related. Mike and I confuse them a lot. And we enjoy it.
I spent an hour talking to him on Saturday night after Adam's party. I feel bad for him. I wish he wouldnt take so much on himself. If anyone he cares about is hurting he gets angry and pissed off. It's what accounts for his "I hate the world" exterior. But at least he doesn't do that at me anymore.

My boss is finally back at the homework club, which means the fun is over. I was finally starting to enjoy working with the kids and getting to know them, but that kind of ends now. I'm glad that Patti is back to deal with the kids who refuse to do as we say or who won't calm down. But other than that, I'd rather her stay on vacation.

Now that she's back, my mom really wants me to quit. I'm afraid to quit though. First of all, I hate going back on committments. I would feel like I'm failing if I don't go to the end of the year. Also, it's really good money, money that I could use for university. It's also my only link to Mike Welsh, who is becoming more and more of a good friend. But on the other hand, I'm extremely overstressed and over burdenned and something's gotta give. The question is what....

No comments: