Friday, July 01, 2005

Canada Day 2

So, I went to teh fireworks with Avery. We went to this hill where we had a clear view. The hill was so nice, we rolled down it and ran back up, falling over one another on the way. As we were doing this, waiting for the fireworks, this little gril started watching us, and we invited her to roll with us. So she joined in.
When we stopped rolling she came up to us and proudly proclaimed "My name is Pedra, and I'm four. I'm from Lebannon" she held up four fingers.
She sat with us while we watched the fireworks. She talked and talked and talked about... everything. At one point she sat up and said "I want a towel to sit on", so Avery and I told ehr she'd half to ask her mom or dad for one. "I don't have a Dad," she said, "I have only a Mommy and my brother. My Daddy is in Lebannon."
We found out she had immigrated with her mom and brother, and her Dad was coming eventually. "I'm going to see him soon, maybe tomorrow," she told us, while leaning against Avery.
Toward the end of the fireworks, she said "I like sitting with people... Because, I never see you! I never see you. Ever."
I looked over at her face, and she was smiling. She had Maple leaf stickers all over her dark face, looking so content. And you know what? That's what Canada is about. People from all over get a new chance at life. Canada Day brings us all together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's really sweet

Erin said...

Awwww! omg so cute! *luffs little girl*