Thursday, March 24, 2005

Maundy Thursday

Today is Maundy Thursday; I just got back from church. The Maundy Thursday service is to remember the events of the Last Supper. It's my favourite service of the year.

It's a very subdued, somber service. We don't process in from the back, as usual; instead we come in, the choir following the crucifer (one of the servers, me tonight) who is carrying the cross. After that, things continue as in a normal service until after the sermon. Then, the priest takes off his cloakish thing (I'm not sure what it's called...) and washes people's feet, as Jesus did at the Last Supper. Anyone who wants to can go up and have their foot washed. After that, there is communion, and the stripping of the altar.

At my church, the altar is raised, and there are steps up to it; it takes up the front part of the church. During the stripping of the altar, all the cloths, candlesticks, candle snuffs, and such are taken off the altar and taken to this little room where they are stored when they're not being used. During this time, the 22nd psalm is read, which is a pretty poignant psalm.

So after all this, the altar is left bare, and the lights are turned off one by one, slowly, starting at the back, until all the lights are out, except for one hanging oil lamp, which is only out on Good Friday. Then everyone leaves in silence and darkness.

After I had changed out of my server's robe, I walked back through the dark church. I was the only one there. When I got to the end of the aisle, I looked back. There was something about that one hanging lamp in the darkness, above the bare altar. I don't even know how to explain it. It made me stop and think for a minute. It reminded me of a lighthouse.

Send the nerds off to their own party with a pretty girl to give them awards.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how to take that ending. If I had written it, it would be a kinda "I looked at the deeply symbolic thing, it looked like an apple . . . man, i'm hungry!" tone. Or did you mean more seriously "It looked like a lighouse, a guiding light from the lord." If that's what you mean, sorry for the cynicism

OOoohh, I want a foot wash! I think he should use the blood of christ for it though, 'cause the alcohol would probably be good for my athlete's foot.
I'm kidding, i swear.


Yes, I am a sex bomb

Evey said...

Yes, it was meant to be symbolic. *rolls eyes* What can't I have a serious moment here? My blog = whatever I want. Right now, I want an apple :P .

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say something meaning, poetic and metaphorical. But my athiest upbringing is putting an end to that, sorry. *runs around ranting about God then runs away before her grandmother shoots her*

I'm pretty sure it's undescribable. (Three cheers for spelling rules! Even though I don't remember them...)

And wow, milord, that was just disgusting. I am -not- letting you
-near- me with thsoe feet. *shudders*