Monday, November 12, 2007

No! Not that song!

I will start off today's post with a fine OOC*:

Student 1 (walking into Ms A's room): Why is it so cold in here?
Student 2: They have to keep Ms A's heart at its natural temperature.
A (nodding, impressed): Yeah. Good one.

Now Ms A is not exactly the world's most predictable teacher. She latches on to random things, yells often, and gets very worked up. She often seems personally offended by her students/society/something we say. She is a perfect old woman, except younger.

She has decided that she doesn't like me. I have too much attitude. I express opinions. I'm disrespectful. Etc. Well, I hate to break it to you Ms A, but I am not like this at all in any of my other classes. I'm reserved (unless someone is being an idiot and I need to tell them to shut up), I don't yell things, I don't disagree with everything the teacher says. No, miss, it's pretty much just you. I disagree just for the sake of disagreeing because I don't like you very much.* I'm sorry. If you respected me more, I might return the sentiment. But instead I disagree, something I am incredibly good at, might I remind you, as I am a teenager and it's practically a sport for us. So really, you don't want to try to take me down. I will be the clear winner.

There's a big division at my school, between the new Ms A and the old, much beloved Mr Hodgson (old and new to the school, not in age). The Hodge is a Lisgar legend. Everyone loves him, everyone wants to be in his classes, everyone defends him (so it sucks to be the one in like 50 who doesn't like him. It happens, though rarely). We love how he teaches -- the yelling, the dancing around, the clear passion for the texts.

Ms A is totally different. She is analytical, she structures the hell out of everything, and she has crazy idea about theme. She confuses the hell out of students who already took AP Writer's Craft. Everyone just wants their Mr Hodgson back. Hence the division. We disagree with her, we dislike her insane moods and really, we just want theme back to the way it was when it didn't have to be a cause and effect or the moral of the story and we understood it. It seems like not much to ask.

So I suffer through her class and am actually pulling an 89 (yes!). Let's hope I can keep my marks high until I get to my dream semester next -- Mr Hodgson all morning.




* OOC is a section of the Lisgarwrite in which we print things teacher have said. Silly things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's a crazy bitch, but she's oh-so good for the OOC. I forgot to give you another quote from her:

Ms. A: I would literally drive to Carleton from Osgoode (??) while studying for my English exams.
Student: How on earth did you not die?!
Ms. A: I had a really big truck...

(Fifty points if you can guess who the student is!)