Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Magical Desert Fox

I took a mostly sick day yesterday.

Yesterday I went to school, but by third period I had a definite fever and felt awful. I stuck it out through improv practice until 5, but I wasn't doing so hot, so I took a day off. Sleeping until 10:30 did surprisingly little, unfortunately, as I still feel super sick.

I did head in to school for improv practice. We were to have our pre-Connors Cup training session with KY. Now, I bet there were quite a few things in that last sentence many of you didn't understand. I'll elaborate. Connor's Cup is an improv competition, totally separate from the official regionals/nationals and named for Ottawa's regional co-director and improv legend Al Connors. The training session is something every team gets before the Cup, run with three other teams, to make sure all the teams know how to improvise. Finally, KY is Katherine Young, head judge, regional co-director and COG volunteer of 11 years.

Now that you're in the know, I'll go on. These training sessions are fine, but Lisgar doesn't usually go, because we're Lisgar, and we usually don't go out for Connor's Cup (last year we threw together one team 2 days before and one team the day of) but since most of our team is in grade twelve, we get one shot. So we all want to make the most of it, especially when it comes to Connor's Cup. This year's team is all new and Lisgar has a reputation, so we all want to come out with a bang.

So. Training session. We showed up there, ready to be among our peers, people as nuts and exciting and into improv as we are. Jimmy members were a little stressed because we haven't really been feeling it lately, and we want to pwn. We were the same night as Brookfield and Immaculata, and almost everyone was new to improv. Great! We're all on the same level. Things started off well, with minor confusion about taking shoes off (KY asked us to take our shoes off. Lisgar already had all their shoes off, but Brookfield got very confused and complained about the smell a lot).

So, what happenned was that Lisgar did super well. We knew our stuff, we made good scenes, and I got to stand up in front of everyone and make a scene that was exactly what KY wanted -- and she nicknamed me "glasses" because she likes mine. It's true that this was to practice and learn, but it felt good to know what I was doing. Improv period felt good.

At the end of the night, we split into our teams. I knelt down next to Ms K, and felt something wierd going on with my knee. Or rather, behind my knee. Back up to earlier that day when I was pulling on my jeans. I felt something wierd as I put them on, but then it seemed to be fine, so I went on with my day. Jump back to the improv workshop. I reach up my pantleg... and pull out yesterday's underwear. I turned very, very red while silently thanking God that they hadn't fallen out while I was walking... or on stage. In front of Brookfield. IN FRONT OF KY.

I probably would have gotten a different nickname...

1 comment:

aandjblog said...

omg that's funny!

good this they didn't fall out on stage.. embrassing!