Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Et puis...

This is obviously the best way to spend my spare.

I am just back from a wonderful weekend in Quebec City with my mother. I bet after reading those words many of you gasped and are now in shock. Words like "How?" and "Why?" are now flashing through your minds, quickly followed by "What's wrong with her?". I can assure all of you however, that I have not lost my mind, I actually did have a wonderful time spending every waking moment with my mother for 72 hours. I know, I was shocked too.

Last year at Christmas time, I went to a Christmas party for my mom's office, the SOGC. They have a raffle every year for all the employees with things donated by the various suppliers the SOGC works with. There are enough prizes for everyone, but some are a lot better than others. Since I had worked at the sexulalityandu.ca booth for them, I got my name entered in the draw, and I won a two night stay at any Fairmont Hotel in the Quebec region. So. Off to Quebec City. It was a pretty action packed weekend, so I'll share with you the best story: the story of the Separatist Tourguide.



One thing we decided we really wanted to do while we were there was a walking tour of the Old City. We signed ourselves up for a tour and met up with the guide at the visitors' centre. The guide was a fairly normal looking guy with a comb-over, no fleur-de-lis on his forehead or prominently displayed Separatist Club badge. We didn't notice anything until the tour guide started the tour with a good five minute rant about Parks Canada, the federal government and english speakers everywhere. Apparently, les quebecois are the only ones who really know canadian history, and the federal government is spreading lies about the history of Canada to suit their own purposes. Or something. I stopped listening part way through and pretended to take a picture so I could turn away and laugh.

Ok, so I do not hate les quebecois. I love their language, and am a huge poutine fan (gross but true), and they, as everyone, deserve respect. But honestly people, this guy was hilarious. At least 5 or 6 times he went off on to tangents that would last for minutes. At one point, he even talked about how "silly" Inuit (or as he said, "eskimo") words are. That was less funny that it was incredibly rude and awful, but for the most part he was comic relief more than anything.

And for more comic relief, here is me next to Rene Levesque. Separatist Tour Guide almost had a heart attack when he saw us taking this picture.

No comments: