Thursday, August 30, 2007

love in our summer skin - Pt. 2

Here's part two, which will be more fun if you read part one (scroll down).

So really, women, this hating our bodies thing? Let's cut it out. It's not as if constantly complaining or fishing for compliments is fun, and it certainly isn't a gay old time to spend an hour trying to get dressed to make ourselves appear thinner. Sooner or later we should figure out how it's a lot easier to just love what you've got.

You know who figured this out faster than I am? The cool chicks at (the late) Jane magazine. If anyone else picked up their last ever issue, they'll know what I'm talking about. August is their "naked issue" -- and this one certainly didn't dissappoint (80% more naked than last year!). I loved the photo piece of various female actors hanging out naked. Now, their naughty bits were covered, but it didn't take away from the piece. Imagine! Women proudly showing off their bodies -- the parts they love and the parts that maybe they'd rather cover with clothes. But the truth was, not one of them looked bad. Now, that nagging voice in my head points out lighting and the possible use of retouching, but no one was retouched to look perfect, so I'll get over it. Their bodies had soft curves and had structure. They looked real. And proud.

Another article I loved (both for its content and its writing -- I laughed out loud a few times while reading it) was one about naked yoga. Young and old, hanging out on rooftops in downtown, doing yoga naked. Connecting with nature (well, as much as you can downtown, I guess) and celebrating their bodies. I am SO down with that. The author said something I really like: "something about reducing myself to a soul covered in flesh... I don't feel uncomfortable. In the outside world I spend much time wishing I were more slender, but here, I don't feel that way at all." Doesn't that sound good?

This issue of Jane magazine came at a perfect time for me. I have been working harder to appreciate what I've got and not wish for a different body, because you know what? THIS is me and you know what? I'm pretty awesome. What this body can do never stops amazing me. Walking, running, growing, healing, sleeping, dreaming, dancing... all the things my body does for me, I feel like I should appreciate it more. It's a gift, every curve, every inch, every part is a gift.

So I've been working on appreciating it. First thing I did? Pitched those uncomfortable, over padded, pinch more and more and the day goes on, good for nothing bras. Because, really, the biggest plus to having a small chest is that I can forgo the padding and wire for bras that don't make me irritable and pained. And I am not going back. Nuh-uh. My body is much happier this way. And when my body is happy, so am I.

No comments: