Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Took a step back, couldn't read the signs/ Cross the plains till they start to climb

2/3 of the way through my trip to Indiana, and I am remembering why I love my cousins so much. Sure, they drive me totally nuts sometimes, but I love them so much. So much silly. They are my older brothers, and it's quite regrettable that I only get to see them once a year.

Today we went to the fair! We sang the fair song. If you don't know this song, just remember the song:

We're goin' to the zoo, zoo, zoo
How about you? you? you?
You can come too, too, too,
We're going to the zoo, zoo, zoo


and then you ask people what they saw at the zoo and what sound it made... it's a fun silly song to sing in the car. We adapt it to our needs, changing the rhymes as we need to (We're going to the beach, Gonna eat a peach, Watch out for the leech...) And in this case, the fair! Amy thought we were nuts, we sang songs the whole way home. First, the regular car/camp songs and then we moved on to Broadway stuff (Elephant Love Medley! Guys vs Girls!)



So the fair was so much fun. We didn't actually travel a great distance, but we did tons of stuff. We ate honey ice cream (Jonah, reading ingredients: "Guys, the only thing there's less of in here than honey is something called "stabilizer". Who knew honey was so unstable?"), we saw a gourd turned into a whale and we discovered Erin's family secret (me: "ok, who knew that Erin had a farm? I didn't know! I bet you have a secret plan to fight inflation too, Erin."). Oh, and we ate fried food. DEEP fried food. A short list of things that various people from the group ate:

-deep fried corn fritters ("Like corn nuggets, but worse for you!")
-elephant ear (like a Beavertail but not as good)
-corn on the cob (ok, the real food)
-corn dog
-walking taco*
-steak on a stick
-deep fried strawberries dipped in chocolate
-deep fried oreo (it was free, and now I can say I've eaten one.)



All in all, I quite enjoyed the Indiana State Fair. And the deep fried oreo.

*A walking taco is snack sized bag of fritos with lettuce, tomato, cheese and ground beef in it. Can you say awesome lunch? I will be making this with whole wheat corn chips when I get home.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh, the fair. It's all about the food, really. And the horsies.