Sunday, August 26, 2007

The night starts here, the night starts here/ forget your name, forget your fear

Pt 2 of that other thing is coming later. But here to interrupt is this account of my day!

While waking up at 7:30am on a Sunday morning may not seem like a choice thing to be doing, this is what I did this morning. After going to sleep at 2, I woke up at 7:30 (still more sleep than average this summer, but I guess that's part of the problem), and I hit the snooze button. This, however had no effect as it was not my alarm that had woken me up, but my father in the doorway. "It's 7:30," he told me simply from the doorway. I think I said something eloquent like "Mmmmph" without opening my eyes while really I meant "What in Heaven's name are you doing waking me up at SEVEN THIRTY on a Sunda- oh. right. I asked you to wake me up."

I have really great ideas sometimes.

And here's the thing: even though I was dead tired and still mostly asleep, I dragged my butt out of bed and downstairs to the couch, my bed-substitute, in time for the 8 o'clock start. Start of what? you may ask. Why, let's see: Sunday morning, in the summer, 8am start = F1 season. Turkish Grand Prix. That's right: car racing. My dad and I have been watching car racing for as long as I can remember. Nascar, Indy car, F1... I know 'em all, I've seem 'em all. Sundays after church, or on days when I was allowed to stay home from church, I'd sit on the white couch in my living room, with my dad on the other couch and we'd watch cars of various shapes and sizes zoom around tracks. Meanwhile, my mom would be cooking Sunday dinner as well as the usual Sunday Night Special Desert and my sister would be helping her. It was Dad Time, and I loved every minute of it.

Gradually, as I've gotten older, we've done this less and less. I stopped watching Nascar on Sunday afternoons because I often have homework, or plans, and besides, I have no patience for Nascar anyway (they're pussies. They stop the race the second a little rain falls!). The mornings were harder and harder to wake up for because of my later Saturday nights, but everyone now and then, in the summer, during F1 season, I drag myself out of bed and sit in the living room with my dad and watch F1, which was always my favourite. Sure, I may be half asleep and I wake up and blindly agree with whatever my dad just said, but he still loves me being there. And I love being with him. Dad Time. Just me and him, while the rest of the house sleeps.

The rest of my day was pretty good too. I worked, and then found 74 dollars in chapters cards, bought myself two books and a scarf (yes, a scarf) and then saw the Nanny Diaries with my godmother. It was, by the way, a great movie. I recommend it to everyone. I also still love Scarlett Johansson, and was very happy to see that she had obviously raided my closet for this movie.

If you're bored tonight, give me a call. I'm going out around 11:30 to watch from some shooting stars. Hope to see you there.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Awwww. It's good that you and your dad have something to bond over.

Anonymous said...

Damn it. I wish I was there to watch it with you. Damn being on the opposite side of the world, and all...

non-fighting time with Dads is the greatest :) Go you! :)

PS. This box is in German:"Geben Sie die Zeichen aus dem oben angezeigten Bild ein."


RANDOM