Friday, February 18, 2005

Release the hounds!

Yes Sarah and Ash, I stole your template, I'm sorry. But I needed something new.

I love being on the VOICES Tour committee or whatever. It's fun. You get volunteer hours for having fun with friends. Like yesterday, at mock timetable night. AND we got Tim Horton's donuts too. SCORE!

Okay, before I say anything else, I am a little annoyed about something. And while it veers off from the general direction of my blog, it is mine, so I'm going to write it.

So, in case you guys didn't know, the British parliament has outlawed fox hunting. This is very annoying to me, because I thinks it's a stupid idea to outlaw it. Whenever I say this to someone, they always say, "Why do you want to chase poor, defenseless animals?"

Okay, let me tell you, foxes are not the adorable little creatures from The Fox and the Hound. They steal chickens and other poultry from farmers, they get into mischief. They have been romanticised way more than they deserve.

Alright, alright, before anyone goes and asks me what I have against foxes, I'm going to say I don't hate them. I really don't. I just think that they have survived for centuries while being hunted by humans, and I think they can continue surviving.

Another thing: we should be allowed to hunt foxes. Or anything, really. I'm not for the mass slaughter of animals, but people have hunted animals for eons, and might I point out, the Inuit still do. I'm perfectly fine with that; but it would be racist to tell one people that they can hunt the endagered species they've hunted for generations and then go and tell another people that they can't. Just because white people are the majority doesn't mean that our traditions are any less important. They are just as important as those of other cultures. But for some reason, it's like we can give it up because white people have been on top.

Okay, here's the main thing: It's not about the foxes. They're just something to chase. It's the chase that's the good part, all riding together, adrenaline pumping, over fences, through rivers, in a big pack. I say this without ever having gone on a hunt; I'm not anywhere near good enough. But it's always been something I've wanted to do. I've watched clips of them on TV, read about them, seen them in movies, and I always thought, 'Wow. That looks like such an incredible experience.' Yes, Avery, I know, I know, horses are hurt and injured and so are riders. I have fully read Black Beauty. But I have still always wanted to do it, and I will still do it one day. Only I hope it'll be legally.

The end.

(Wow. I need to join the debate club, eh?)

"Is it illegal to kidnap an entire family and send them to Canada via UPS?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to go to debate club. Before I found out that everyone there was really scary. Don't go. They're really scary *huddles*

Anonymous said...

I meant to go to the debate club. I signed up, but never found it.
I don't think they'll mind you running after animals, just don't hurt them. Also, to avoid hurting the poor horse, you should ride a bicycle.