Sunday, July 29, 2007

You're on a bridge to nowhere and you're gettin' there fast/ put it in the past

My family has some sort of problem with planes.

I don't know what it is, but hardly a Bickbeck vacation has been had without plane troubles of some kind. I kid you not. When we wanted to go to Paris, the flight was canceled because of freezing rain. Luckily, the airline guy took pity on the mom with her two cute kids and gave us an extra day in Paris since we lost one, and I ended up being able to spend my birthday in Paris, which was nice... but still. It was touch and go for a while. I know, freezing rain is sometimes a problem when you leave for somewhere in the middle of November, and I wouldn't think much of it, were it an isolated event. There are other stories.

This year, when we were going to Cuba, we called the airport to check on our flight's status only to discover our flight had been canceled. Now this was only the flight to Toronto where we were to stay over night and then leave for Cuba in the morning. Now, this doesn't seem like such a bad thing, since there are flights to Toronto on the hour every hour all day from Ottawa until like 11pm, and we were leaving at 5. The problem was that this cancellation had been preceded by 3 days of terrible storms which left everyone flying anywhere in Eastern North America, and beyond, stranded for days. So every single seat on every single of those flights was booked. Every one. The standby fly list was a mile long. So we had to leave the next day (but that almost messed up too since the airline guy who rebooked us didn't press save or something and when we called back we discovered we had never booked a new flight. Fixed that in a hurry).

And now my poor father, who was to arrive last night here in Indy, after a week of stress and working overtime instead received a recorded call from the airline at 6am telling him: "Your flight has been affected due to .... cancellation." Now he is arriving today at about 2pm... right in the middle of the Brickyard 400, a huge car race of some kind that is happening right near the airport. As if Indianapolis' freeways aren't clogged enough normally.

I swear, it's a curse. I am the only one to break it, when I went to Indiana by myself a couple winters ago. I guess I'll fly alone from now on.

No comments: